By: Kate Leeney- NASM CPT, Nutrition Coach, FNS
Crockpot season is coming fast, so I wanted to start adding recipes here! Classic dishes can always be modified with clean ingredients. I will continue to share some to show you how! ENJOY!
Ingredients (serves 4):
* 1 tbsp avocado oil
* 4 slices uncured nitrate-free bacon (or whole30 bacon)
* 2 pounds grass-fed beef roast (cubed)
* 1 small onion (chopped)
* 1 tbsp minced garlic
* 2 large carrots (chopped)
* 2 sweet potatoes OR white potatoes (diced)
* 1 cup diced tomatoes
* 1 tsp dried thyme
* 1 ½ cups beef or chicken broth
1. In a large pot, add 1 tbsp avocado and fry up bacon. Cook until almost crisp and add the cubed beef. Sear on all sides until golden brown.
2. Add onion and garlic and cook until both are soft.
3. Add carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, and thyme. Simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook on low for 4-5 hours (covered)
5. If you want to try this in the instant pot, I would do the bacon and beef in a pan THEN add all ingredients to the instant pot! For instant pot, use the stew setting.