By: Kate Leeney- NASM CPT, Nutrition Coach, FNS
If you are a pesto fan, you will LOVE this. If you don't know what pesto is- do yourself a favor and try it! Pesto is a thick, green sauce that tastes bright and herby from the basil, and salty and rich from the cheeses and pine nuts. It's garlicky and made with olive oil... so beyond delicious!
I love that this chicken salad was made with only the cleanest ingredients. I love Primal Kitchen mayo's because they have very minimal ingredients. I will typically order from their website (use code: LUMINOUSLIFE for 10% off of your order) or I will buy a variety of dressings/sauces from Thrive Market.
Here is the scoop on this recipe:
Chicken Pesto Salad
-1 chopped red pepper
-1 chopped orange pepper
-1 chopped yellow pepper
-3 chicken breasts (cooked and chopped)
-1/2 cup @primalkitchen foods pesto mayo
-1/2 cup pesto of choice (I love @costco @kirkland brand)
-option to add more pesto on top after mixing
Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Enjoy on your favorite clean ingredient bread, mix in a salad, or eat over sweet/regular potatoes. ENJOY!
BONUS: two more chicken salad recipes below!
Blackened Chicken Salad
3 cups shredded chicken (made in instant pot)
1 tbsp avocado oil
½ cup mayo (I used @primalkitchenfoods)
¼ cup dijon mustard
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
½ red onion
½ cup grated carrots
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp dried thyme
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
green onions or scallions (for garnish)
1. Add all of your spices, mayo, and avocado oil to a bowl. Mix well!
2. Add half chopped red onion, grated carrots, and 3 cups of shredded chicken to the bowl. Set aside.
3. Mix apple cider vinegar and dijon mustard separately and combine it to your chicken salad.
4. Chop your green onions and top it off! DONE and DONE✅
Jalapeño Popper Chicken Salad
· 3 cups shredded chicken (made in instant pot)
· ½ pound bacon (I used simply organic
· 1 tbsp avocado oil
· ½ cup mayo (I used @
· 1 tbsp buffalo sauce (I used
· 2 jalapenos (sliced)
· 1 teaspoon garlic powder
· 1 teaspoon onion powder
· chopped green onion
1. Add 1 tbsp of avocado oil to a pan and cook bacon until it’s crispy. Set aside and leave bacon grease + oil in the pan.
2. Chop your jalapenos and saute in the same pan until they are roasted.
3. While the jalapenos are cooking, combine 3 cups shredded chicken (from instant pot) with ½ chopped red onion, 1 tbsp buffalo sauce, ½ cup mayo, 1 tsp garlic powder, and 1 tsp onion powder.
4. Chop your bacon and add it to the bowl. After that, add the jalapenos and mix it all together!
5. Top with chives, green onion, or your topping of choice! Feel free to add more mayo or buffalo sauce!
Which one are you making first?!